Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yogurt!

Many of my friends ask me what kind of yogurt I feed my kids and what do I put in it? I thought we needed a post on this. My new great love is Greek Yogurt.

Why go Greek ?
  1. Greek Yogurt has minimal "humane" interferences (processing)
  2. It has 2x the protein of regular yogurt (12g vs. 20g for 1 cup)
  3. Half the carbs of regular yogurt (16g vs 9g)
  4. More fat! That's right this IS a good thing. More natural fats mean that it is less processed. Good news is when it has real naturally occurring fat your body knows how to use it and it helps you to stay fuller longer. This is different from regular yogurts that use artificial sweeteners that trick your body.

*When you eat dairy you should be eating fat because that is what it is. If you eat "real" food your body knows how to use it. Shocking concept? Dairy has Fat in it? Ummmm Ya! It comes out of the animal that way so that is how it should be consumed.

My favorite Greek Yogurt is Chobani!!!
This unique straining process is what makes Chobani Greek Yogurt “Greek” and full of flavor and health benefits:·

All natural.
No preservatives.
No artificial flavors. ·
No synthetic growth hormones: No rBST-treated milk.·
Includes 5 live & active cultures, including 3 probiotics
Made with real fruit. ·
Twice the protein of regular yogurts.·
A good source of bone-building calcium.·
Gluten-Free and Kosher-Certified.·
Safe for people with corn, nut and soy allergies.

If you google it you can go to their site and print a coupon to give it a try.

I either buy it plain and add my own mix ins or if I need a quick grab I will buy the one with the fruit already added. They use only real fruit.

My favorite home made mix in:

  • Favorite berry of your choice
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
In a blender add your favorite berry (Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry) then add 1 tsp maple syrup. Pulse until mixed but chunky. Scoop into a Tupperware and refrigerate all week, Scoop out what you need and add it to the top of your plain yogurt. Yummy!!!!

To add more texture add in your favorite nut. I love pecans!!!!!

5 comments:

Danielle Simone said...

Thank you :)

Holly said...

That's so funny you posted this! I was just going to post about Greek yogurt too! Ha! Such a simple concept and SO yummy!

Anonymous said...

Jen, loved it!
I say, forget the baby factory and write a book!
Great info for us grandma's too.
I look forward to reading more. Thank you for all your time and effort that goes into this.

Your KoKo. :-P

Karen "O" said...

Jen, you know I'm challenged at some of this stuff.
Give me a C/S and I can do it with my eyes closed, but this well need I say more.

I'm not anonymous, I'm Karen "O"
You love it!

Emily said...

Jen,

So glad you love Chobani! Thanks for including us on your wonderful blog. Jake and Luke are precious- what a lucky lady you are :)


Emily
Communications Manager
Chobani Greek Yogurt

ShareThis